Shares India’s Top Couples Therapist Shivani Misri Sadhoo
Infidelity is a challenging and mostly painful issue in relationships. While it’s important to remember that not all suspicions of cheating are accurate, recognizing potential signs can be crucial for addressing relationship problems and maintaining trust.
This article by couples therapist and relationship expert Shivani Sadhoo will outline some common signs that can tell you if a man is cheating in a relationship. Keep in mind that these signs are not definitive proof, but they can serve as red flags to investigate further.
What are those signs that can tell if a man is cheating in a relationship?
Below are given, some of the points that Shivani says, indicate a man is cheating in a relationship. Some of them are:
- Decreased Emotional Intimacy: One of the earliest signs of infidelity is a decrease in emotional intimacy. If your partner starts becoming distant, avoids deep conversations, or seems less interested in your feelings and thoughts, it may be cause for concern.
- Changes in Communication Patterns: Pay attention to changes in communication. If your partner starts texting or calling less frequently, becomes secretive about their phone, or suddenly starts using encrypted messaging apps, it could indicate they are hiding something.
- Increased Secrecy: If your partner becomes more secretive about their daily activities, especially when they used to be open about them, it might be a sign of cheating. Suspicion arises when they become overly protective of their phone, computer, or personal belongings.
- Unexplained Absences: Frequent, unexplained absences or a sudden increase in time spent away from home can be alarming. If your partner frequently offers vague excuses for their whereabouts, it’s worth questioning their honesty.
- Changes in Appearance and Behavior: A sudden makeover or a noticeable change in grooming habits could be a sign of cheating. Some people begin dressing differently, exercising more, or showing more interest in their appearance when they’re involved in an affair.
- Decreased Physical Intimacy: While a decrease in physical intimacy is not always an indication of infidelity, it can be a red flag if it’s coupled with other signs. Some cheaters may lose interest in their partner physically because of their involvement with someone else.
- Defensive Behavior: When confronted about potential signs of cheating, a cheating partner might become defensive or overly accusatory themselves. They may try to shift blame or avoid the conversation altogether.
- Unexplained Expenses: Keep an eye on financial discrepancies. If your partner suddenly starts spending money on unexplained items or experiences that don’t involve you, it could suggest they are investing in an affair.
- Gut Feeling: Intuition is a powerful tool. If you have a persistent gut feeling that something is off in your relationship, it’s worth addressing it. Trust your instincts, but also be prepared to have an open and honest conversation with your partner.
- Information from Friends or Family: Sometimes, friends or family members may notice suspicious behaviour or have heard rumours about infidelity. While you should take such information with caution, it’s worth considering and discussing if multiple people express concerns.
Discovering that your partner may be cheating can be incredibly distressing. It’s important to remember that these signs are not definitive proof of infidelity, but they can help you identify potential issues in your relationship. If you suspect your partner is cheating, it’s essential to communicate openly, seek professional counseling if necessary, and make decisions that prioritize your well-being and happiness. Trust and communication are key to resolving relationship challenges and, in some cases, rebuilding trust after infidelity.
Shivani Misri Sadhoo is an internationally recommended relationship Counsellor by world’s biggest and most trusted study and research-based foundation for couples therapy – Gottman Institute. She is trained on specialised key relationship counselling Skills from AIIMS, VIMHANS and various other reputed institutions. Counselor Shivani Misri Sadhoo, is also Certified for Emotionally Focused Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Dialectical Behaviour Therapy.
Counsellor Shivani Misri Sadhoo is also a Certified Neuro Linguistic Practitioner with specialised training and experience in the field of affairs/betrayals, trust issues, difficulty communicating, conflicting values, bereavement, grief and loss (affairs, separation, divorce, childhood) and emotional health issue (anxiety, social anxiety, fear, depression, low mood).
Currently, Shivani Misri Sadhoo is one of the top counsellors with the HIGHEST Success Rate with over 17,000 happy couples and individuals (based in India and abroad), who has benefited from her therapy. Psychologist and Counselor Shivani Misri Sadhoo not only practice independently from her clinic in Greater Kailash, Delhi, India but also listed on the panel of eminent hospitals like IBS Hospital – Institute of Brain & Spine, Express Clinic, Fortis (formerly) based in Delhi.